Copyright Notice

Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Penalty Protection

Monday, May 3, 2010

Blog has moved to ----> mgw.dumatics.com


This post can now be read at HERE


image
JHora on my desktop
While I prefer Maitreya as it can run with Linux as native, quite a few of my friends have asked me if Jagannatha Hora will work on Linux and hence this post.

Right, when I tried last time around mid Oct'09, JHora was not working using wine. However, recently things have changed.



If you are not aware or have not used Play On Linux then you should try it out. It works. Anyway back to original topic, the steps to install Jagannatha Hora on Kubuntu 10.04 are as below. (I am mighty sure this will work on other linux machines but I have tried it only on Kubuntu 10.04 which is increasingly becoming my OS of choice.)

Step 1: Install Play On Linux (POL)
Step 2: Download Jagannatha Hora ( JH )
Step 3: Install JH using POL

1. Install Play On Linux (POL) - You can install using Package Manager - Synaptic or KPackagekit but you will most likely get a little older version. I installed using Synaptic but then updated it by downloading directly from the site or follow this link to download the version 3.7.6. This is latest at the time of writing but it may be best to just get it from the website here. Once downloaded and installed, we move to a very simple and straightforward Step 2.

2. Download Jagannatha Hora ( JH ) - I am sure if you have come here searching on net, you don't need introduction to this software but in any case I admire the author of this software Mr. P. V. R Narsimha Rao for various reasons. One I consider him my Guru and as I am just a beginner to the world of astrology I find his to book the best reference one can get. I purchased it in 2006 when it was not easily available in UK but now the book itself is included in the software. Though the topic of this post does not require mention of book, I will take a moment to write few words on it. As the author is an engineer from IIT, his approach to subject was structured much like an engineering book. Very logical flow that takes you through the concepts in a way I have not found in any other book till date. It does not mean I don't like other authors. It just means that I recommend this to any beginner as it makes the concepts easy to grasp. OK, now back to topic, if you don't already know, you can get this software by following this link - http://www.vedicastrologer.org/jh/

Once you download the zip file, extract it in the same folder. Just remember where you extracted. The file you have extracted will be named - jh_full_install.exe.

3. Install JH using POL - Open the Play on Linux software. In Kubuntu you will find it by clicking KLauncher -> Applications -> Games. Once it starts, click on "Install".

This will open a new window as shown below:
image

In this window, click on the line in lower left hand side corner - “Install a .pol or an unsupported application”. This will close the above window and open the window shown below:

(Please note that if this window does not close, it appears that Play On Linux has hanged. In such case click on cross to close that window and it will show an error message suggesting that “PlayOnLinux” is not responding or something to that effect but you select to force close it and you will still land up on the next window. I found that this problem went away when I installed the latest version 3.7.6.)

image

a) In this window select “Manual installation” and click on “Next”.

b) On the next window that appears, click “Forward”.

image 

c) You will be presented with another window with choices. Default choice being –  “Install a program in a new prefix”. Keep it selected or if it is not selected, select it and click on “Forward”,

d) Next will be presented a window asking name for wine prefix. Type “Jhora” and click “Forward”

e)  On the next window, there will be two check-boxes. Leave them un-ticked, do nothing and click Forward.

image

f) Once prefix is created, you will be presented with this window. Browse to the the file extracted in step 2 and then press Forward.

g) Now it should start installing and once complete, it will ask if you want it to be shown on desktop. I chose Yes but it will be up to personal preference.

image

As you can see in the screenshot, Play On Linux can also be used to install Spotify and 7zip, but more importantly you can see that an entry for Jhora has now been created.

Finally on desktop you should be able to see the link for JH as can be seen in the screen-shot as shown in the beginning of this post..

You should now be able to use JH without any problems.

Hope you found this post useful.

-Ankit.

20 comments:

  1. thanks for this post. It worked flawlessly. One problem I have is that the book doesn't open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It opens for me...I have checked before but I just checked again...can you confirm you are working on Kubuntu... one more thing is to check if other pdf files open or not...let me know how it goes...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ankit. I rarely post comments on blogs, this comment shows how useful this particular article has been. I got to install Jhora on linux and got know about a wonderful app - play on linux. God Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing this works Linux Mint Debian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking your time to provide some encouraging words...yes it does work on Linux Mint...I have been using Linux Mint lately. I have also lately been playing around with Parashar Light and guess it just does not want to play ball with linux. I had to install windows on virtual box and it worked flawlessly. I wonder if that deserves a post...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It works fine on Ubuntu. One problem is how to transfer JHD files that are on windows, to the Jagannath hora data in Wine C drive data of Jagannath hora. If there is a way out that will help avoid writing the data again in linux.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's quite straightforward to do so...if you have used playonlinux the copy your files to Home/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/JHora/drive_c/Program Files/Jagannatha Hora/Data or if you have directly used wine paste them at following location Home/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Jagannatha Hora/Data

    Hope this helps !!!

    -Ankit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ankit. Please could you post an article regarding instaling windows on virtualbox for linux mint/Debian for the purpose of instaling Parashara Light. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tag line for the blog shows what a kind soul you are...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incase you are not married, let God bless you with a sweet Wife and two sweet children.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi - I can cover installing windows using virtualbox but to be honest it is really very straightforward if you have a windows iso to work with. If you do not have windows XP iso, this will be a tricky situation as this can involve taking steps that are not legal in many countries. Same applies for Parashar Light. I will try putting steps together soon for this when time permits.
    -----
    Tag line of my blog shows the kind of my soul...that is deep...I hope it all means good.

    Thanks for your comments.
    -----

    I am happily married and have been blessed with a kid four years back...thanks for the wishes :).I am glad if this helped you.

    -----

    ReplyDelete
  12. I meant you are a Good Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have mentioned " I am what LORD wanted me to be nothing more nothing less...:)".

    Soul indicates a type of a person he/she is and their actions are accordingly. We get a soul according to our past karmas. Otherwise Lord would be partisan.

    He is indeed the Lord of this World. And yes, nothing happens without His Will or against His Will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks again....you are a very kind person to think nice of me....:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mate, I wish to update to 7.51 from 7.4 version. I downloaded the update, how do I install it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I have not tried updating lately but I did install it on OpenSuse 11.04 few days back using same steps as above and it went fine. Except that in OpenSuse relevant fonts were not there and text was coming all garbled and I had to copy the fonts into relevant prefix that PlayOnLinux created but apart from that it was smooth sailing.

    Now I am assuming that since you want to update you already have 7.4 installed. In which case, you will perhaps have some JHD files that you will need to backup and then install the new version afresh. That will ensure no hassles clean install.

    I will be installing a fresh version of Linux Mint 11 soon so I will try before that to upgrade Jhora if time permits.

    If you manage to do it before me, please drop a comment here on how it went. It will save me some work...:)

    Regards,
    Ankit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Ankit - Namaste

    Thanks for your post. I was searching for such information on net from some time back.
    Thanks for your sharing. GOD bless you.
    yours sincerely
    satish

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Satish,

    Thanks for the comment and wishes. I am glad this helped.

    Regards,
    Ankit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Ankit...
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ..ANY jHORA IS AVAILABLE FOR ADAMS HONEYCOMB TABLET..?
    IF SO PLEASE SEND ME THE LINK.

    BTW I PRAY GOD TO BLESS YOU AND UR FAMILY WITH THE SAME CONTENTED SATISFACTION RIGHT THRU UR ENTIRE LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there...sorry mate JHORA is not available on Android and given how I have been searching for a similar solution I am absolutely certain there is no way as of now to achieve this. Reason: No wine type emulator on Android. However, there is something called Jyotish Tools which will work on tablets. It has a free version as well as a paid version.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog